Announcement of Water PT
10th SADCWATERLAB Proficiency Testing ROUND FOR Chemical Analysis of POTABLE Water in AFRICA
This note serves as an advance notification of the 2013 proficiency test for chemical analysis of potable water in Africa which will be carried out by Namibia Water Corporation, (NamWater).
This exercise is highly recommended for members of the SADC Water Lab Association. However, non-members are also very much encouraged to participate. Membership is free and the memorandum of understanding (MOU) which establishes the SADC Water Lab Association as well as registration forms can be obtained from the SADCMET website under the link www.sadcmet.org.
Herewith the protocol for the proficiency testing scheme. To administer the programme successfully, it is necessary to honor the given dates and to react promptly. Since the local coordinators have a major role to play in the Proficiency testing scheme activities, please copy them in when submitting proof of payments and registration forms.
CLOSING DATE FOR REGISTRATON: 17st May 2013 (CLICK TO DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS)
Registration for each round is a very important part of the planning.Registration is compulsory for every round and only registered laboratories will receive samples.
Please complete the registration form attached in full and e-mail it back to the PT provider. In order to improve the communication, please copy the local coordinator in when submitting proof of payments and registration forms.
Invoices will only be after the duly completed registration forms were received.
The following information needs to be complete in the registration form:
- Name of the laboratory and contact person(s) (preferably two)
- Correct and physical and postal address for both contact persons
- Telephone and fax numbers (preferably two)
- E-mail address per contact person (company e-mail address is preferred but feel free to supply alternate e-mail in case of e-mail and internet problems.
- 200 US$ payment and proof thereof must be faxed or e-mailed before samples will be dispatched. The 200 US$ payment is exclusive of bank charges. Any bank charges must be cleared by your respective organizations.
E-MAIL DOCUMENTATION RECEIPT CONFIRMATION:
- Please confirm receipt of all correspondence immediately after receipt, as the PT provider must take immediate action should there be a problem with the electronic mode of communication. This is required for the following:
- PT notification and protocol
- Registration forms & proof of payments
- Laboratory identification codes
- PT report
- General communication related to the proficiency test (PT)
- One contact per laboratory needs to respond.
PROFICIENCY TESTING PROVIDER
- NamWater is the PT provider with Merylinda Conradie as the coordinator of running the scheme.
- Contact details for Ms M Conradie: :
Tel: (Int code +264-61) 71 2257
Mobile: +261 81 2421200
Fax: (Int code +264-61) 71 2097
CONFIDENTIALITY / UNIQUE LABORATORY CODES
- To maintain confidentiality of the results submitted, each laboratory will be assigned a laboratory code as soon as the results are received.
- There will be no sequence to the initial issuing of these laboratory codes to each of the Participants.
- The laboratory code used to identify a laboratory’s performance in the schemes will be changed for every PT run in to maintain confidentiality.
- The Participant will be notified of the exercise via e-mail at least a month before the exercise.
- The protocol and result forms will be supplied with the dispatch of samples via a hard copy and via the electronic exercise notification.
- E-mail is the preferred mode of communicationand where problems arise, facsimile communication would be recommended.
- Fax transmission forms sent by Participants must clearly indicate “Urgent for the attention of Merylinda Conradie.
The round involved the distribution of six samples which will be prepared as follows:
Sample 1, 2 and 3: Sulphate, Chloride, Fluoride, Nitrate, Phosphate, Conductivity at 25°C in mS/m, Total Dissolved solids at 180°C in mg / l [Gravimetric method only]
Sample 4,5 and 6 :Calsium,Magnesium,Sodium,Potassium,Iron,Manganese,Aluminium,Lead
Zinc, Chromium, Nickel, Arsenic, Cadmium and Cobalt
|Sulphate as SO4 in mg/l||Calcium as Ca in mg/l|
|Chloride as Cl in mg/l||Magnesium as Mg in mg/l|
|Nitrate as NO3 in mg/l||Sodium as Na in mg/l|
|Fluoride as F in mg/l||Potassium as K in mg/l|
|Phosphate as PO4 in mg/l||Iron as Fe in mg/l|
|Manganese as Mn in mg/l|
|Aluminum as Al in mg/l|
|Lead as Pb in mg/l|
|Copper as Cu in mg/l|
|Zinc as Zn in mg/l|
|Chromium as Cr in mg/l|
|Nickel as Ni in mg/l|
|Arsenic as As in mg/l|
|Cadmium as Cd in mg/l|
|Cobalt as Co in mg/l|
|OTHER: [Sample 1, 2 and 3]|
|Conductivity at 25°C in mS/m|
|Total Dissolved solids at 180°C in mg / l [ Gravimetric method only]|
Each laboratory must perform the duplicate analyses of each sample for all determinants.
DISTRIBUTION OF SAMPLES: 10th July 2013
The samples will be distributed to the local coordinators provided that registration forms were submitted and payments were received.
RETURN DATE FOR THE RESULTS: 30th AUGUST 2013
The results will be entered onto a supplied result form and send before or on the return date to the PT scheme provider.
Fax:(Int code +264-61) 71 2097 or (Int code +264-61) 71 3805
Fax transmission forms must clearly indicate
Unfortunately, results received after the specified period will not be included in the report. Please inform the PT provider before the exercise should your laboratory not be able to participate in this exercise.
An electronic evaluation report will be supplied to all participants by the 18th October 2013.
PROGRAMME CHEMICAL POTABLE WATER PT FOR 2013:
|Closing date for registration & payment of participants||
17th May 2013
Local Coordinators ; Lab Managers
|Distribution of the samples||
05 th July 2013
|Deadline for submission of results||
30th August 2013
Local Coordinators ; Lab Managers
|Evaluation of results and drafting of report||
18th October 2013
|2013 – Evaluation work shop hosted by KEBS [Kenya Bureau of Standards]||
During 11 -15 th November 2013
Please incorporate theses date into your year planning to ensure a successful programme. If any of these dates have to be changes due to unforeseen circumstances, you will be notified in advance.
GENERAL FINANCIAL ASPECTS & FEES:
- Participation Fees: US$200-00 (Two hundred US$ dollars) EXCLUSIVE of bank charges which MUST be paid by your respective organizations.
CLOSING DATE FOR REGISTRATION is 17th May 2013:No samples will be dispatched if the following has not been received:
- Chemical registration form
- 200 US$ payment and proof thereof by fax or e-mail.
- Direct deposit and electronic payments are excepted proof thereof by fax or e-mail.
- Cheque payment: Made out to NamWater
BENEFICIARY: Namibia Water Corporation (NamWater)
BANK: First National Bank, Namibia Ltd.
BRANCH: Windhoek Branch, Independence Avenue
BRANCH CODE: 28-01-72
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 555 00 144 676
SWIFT CODE: FIRNNANX