Kenya Accreditation Service (KENAS) is the national accreditation body for Kenya mandated to offer accreditation services. It is established under the States Corporations Act, Cap 446; vide Legal Notice No. 55 of May 2009. KENAS gives formal attestation that Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) are competent to carry out specific conformity assessment activities. These CABs include testing laboratories, calibration laboratories, certification bodies or inspection bodies which provide, testing, calibration, certification or inspection services respectively and in all fields in the public and private sectors.
KENAS has accredited over 90 conformity assessment bodies as at September 2018.
Membership for Peer Evaluation
1.ILAC Full member
KENAS is a Full Member of ILAC and a signatory to the ILAC MRA for testing (ISO/IEC 17025), medical testing (ISO 15189), calibration (ISO/IEC 17025) and inspection (ISO/IEC 17020). KENAS originally joined ILAC as an Affiliate Member in 2005, then became an Associate member in 2009.
2. IAF Full member
KENAS has also been admitted as an IAF (International Accreditation Forum) MLA (Multi-Lateral Arrangement) signatory for Management System Certification – ISO/IEC 17021-1 with a Sub-scope level 4: ISO/TS 22003 and a Sub-scope level 5: ISO 22001, ISO 9001 & ISO14001.
3. AFRAC Full Member
In the African Region, KENAS is a full signatory status as Arrangement Member of the AFRAC MRA for the following 5 scopes and 3 sub-scopes as highlighted:
- Calibration to ISO/IEC 17025
- Testing to ISO/IEC 17025
- Medical Testing to ISO 15189
- Inspection to ISO/IEC 17020
- Certification to ISO/IEC 17021-1 in the following sub-scopes:
- QMS (ISO 9001)
- EMS (ISO 14001)
- FSMS (ISO 22000)
KENAS is mandated to: –
1. Provide accreditation to conformity assessment bodies in the following areas:-
a) Accreditation of Certification Bodies
(i) Management Systems Certification Bodies ISO/IEC 17021
(ii) Personnel Certification Bodies ISO/IEC 17024
(iii) Product Certification Bodies ISO/IEC 17065
b) Accreditation of Testing Laboratories ISO/IEC17025
c) Accreditation of Calibration Laboratories ISO/IEC 17025
d) Accreditation of Medical laboratories ISO 15189
e) Accreditation of Inspection and Verification bodies ISO/IEC 17020
f) Accreditation of Proficiency Test Providers ISO/IEC 17043
f) Accreditation of Point of Care Testing (POCT) providers ISO 22870 & ISO 15189
g) Accreditation of Veterinary Laboratories ISO/ IEC 17025 & OIE
h) Accreditation of Pharmaceutical Laboratories ISO/IEC 17025
2. Develop, regulate and review the criteria or requirements for accreditation of Conformity Assessment Bodies;
3. Open, maintain and update the register of accredited Conformity Assessment Bodies;
4. Design and issue identification numbers and certificates to all accredited Conformity Assessment Bodies;
5. Publish in the Kenya Gazette all Conformity Assessment Bodies that have been accredited within a particular year;
6. Promote the use of accreditation marks and certificates issued to accredited Conformity Assessment Bodies;
7. Promote competence and equivalence of accredited bodies;
8. Establish and nurture relations and co-operation with regional and international accreditation bodies, persons, associations and organizations that KENAS may consider desirable or appropriate, in furtherance of the objectives and purposes for which KENAS is established;
9. Promote accreditation as a means of facilitating regional and international trade and enhancing economic performance and transformation;
10. Participate in the formulation of regional and international guidelines and standards to facilitate the accreditation process;
11. Raise awareness on the importance and purpose of accreditation, and Promote KENAS as the sole National Accreditation Body in the scope of accreditation.