ISO/IEC 17021-Management Systems
ISO 17021 Standard specifies general principles and requirements for the competence, consistency and impartiality of the audit and certification of management systems of all types
ISO/IEC 17021-Management SystemsISO 17021 Standard specifies general principles and requirements for the competence, consistency and impartiality of the audit and certification of management systems of all types (e.g. quality management systems, environmental management systems among others) for bodies providing these activities. This standard is intended for the use by certification bodies and accreditation bodies.
Certification of a management system, such as a quality or environmental management system of an organization is one means of providing assurance that the organization has implemented a system for the management of the relevant aspects of its activities, in line with its policy.
Certification of a management system provides independent demonstration that the management system of the organization
- conforms to specified requirements,
- is capable of consistently achieving its stated policy and objectives, and
- is effectively implemented.
Accreditation by KENAS for management system certification bodies demonstrates that an organization has met the international standard (ISO/IEC 17021) for management system certification and is able to competently audit and certify management systems. A certification body’s scope of accreditation indicates which management systems it is accredited to audit and certify e.g.
- ISO 9001- Quality Management Systems (QMS)
- ISO 140001-Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
- ISO 18001- Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems (OHSAS)
- ISO 15000 Energy Management Systems( EnMS)
- ISO 27001 Information Security Management Systems (ISMS)
- ISO 22000:2005- Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS)
Benefits of ISO 17021: “Conformity assessment - requirements for bodies auditing and certification of management systems
- Uniformity in execution and reporting method for the people carrying out the activity.
- Reduced penalty in case of disputes
- Meeting the accreditation requirements
- Reduced customer complaints
- Proof of conformity to specified requirements
What are the advantages of using an accredited management system certification body (CB’sThe advantages of using an accredited management systems certification body are:-
- Confidence in receiving a high level of service from accredited CBs, as these are regularly assessed by Accreditation Bodies to ensure they demonstrate competence and adherence to ISO/IEC 17021.
- Auditors from CBs (Registrars) are competent to audit companies looking for certification.
- Certification Bodies will audit clients in an impartial manner, and carry out its activities and audits in the basis of evidence.
- Certification Bodies will be responsive to complaints from customers and other parties.