The Accreditation Committee is an independent organ appointed vide the Legal Notice No. 55 of 2009.
Composition of the Accreditation Committee.
KENAS shall have an Accreditation Committee which shall consist of:-
- The Director of Industries who shall be the Chairman;
- The Director of Standards of the Kenya Bureau of Standards;
- The Director of Metrology of the National Metrology Institute;
- The Chief Executive of KENAS who shall be the Secretary;
- Not more than four persons representing conformity assessment bodies appointed by the Minister; and
- One person representing the manufacturing and production industries appointed by the Minister.
Functions of the Accreditation Committee.
The Accreditation Committee shall:-
- Determine the accreditation marks or symbols and how the accreditation marks or the symbol and certificates shall be used by registered persons and accredited bodies;
- Make rules to regulate its procedure and affairs to ensure independence and impartiality;
- Review applications for accreditation, and grant, renew, suspend or cancel registration or accreditation;
- Hear disputes relating to registration or accreditation; and
- Deal with any other issue relating to accreditation.
The Accreditation Committee shall exercise its powers to cancel accreditation where:-
- Accreditation has been obtained by fraud;
- The accredited conformity assessment body does not comply with specified requirement or conditions for accreditation as the Accreditation Committee may prescribe;
- The accredited body becomes insolvent;
- The accredited conformity assessment body is declared insolvent or has had a receiving order issued against it; and
- The accredited conformity assessment body does not pay fees prescribed by the Board when required.
The team is made up of :
1. Ms. Elizabeth Lutomia Nambiro – Member.
2. Mr. George Maingi – Member.
3. Mr. Liston Cheruiyot Kirui – Member.
4. Mr. James Onyango Odongo – Member.
5. Mr. Mohamed Abdi Sheikh – Member.
6. Mr. Charles Gachahi Member KEBS Representative for Standards.
7. Mr. Dennis Moturi Member KEBS Representative for Metrology.
8. Ms. Susan M. Ochieng KENAS (Representing the CEO of KENAS).