Kenya Accreditation Service (KENAS) is the Sole National Accreditation Body (NAB) mandated to offer accreditation services in Kenya. It is established under the States Corporations Act, Cap 446; vide Legal Notice No. 55 of May 2009. It gives formal attestation that Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs) are competent to carry out specific conformity assessment activities.
KENAS is a member of the International Accreditation Forum (IAF) and an associate member at ILAC which are umbrella organizations that oversee accreditation activities at a global level.
KENAS is mandated to: –
1. Provide accreditation to conformity assessment bodies.These conformity assessment bodies are:-
a) Certification Bodies
(i) Management Systems ISO/IEC 17021
(ii) Personnel ISO/IEC 17024
(iii) Products, processes and services ISO/IEC 17065
b) Testing and Calibration Laboratories ISO/IEC 17025
c) Medical laboratories ISO 15189
d) Inspection and Verification bodies ISO/IEC 17020
e) Proficiency Test providers ISO/IEC 17043
f) Reference Medical Laboratories ISO/IEC 15195
g) Veterinary Laboratories ISO/ IEC 17025 & OIE
2. Develop, regulate and review the criteria or requirements for accreditation of Conformity Assessment Bodies;
3. Open, maintain and update the register of accredited Conformity Assessment Bodies;
4. Design and issue identification numbers and certificates to all accredited Conformity Assessment Bodies;
5. Publish in the Kenya Gazette all Conformity Assessment Bodies that have been accredited within a particular year;
6. Promote the use of accreditation marks and certificates issued to accredited Conformity Assessment Bodies;
7. Promote competence and equivalence of accredited bodies;
8. Establish and nurture relations and co-operation with regional and international accreditation bodies, persons, associations and organizations that KENAS may consider desirable or appropriate, in furtherance of the objectives and purposes for which KENAS is established;
9. Promote accreditation as a means of facilitating regional and international trade and enhancing economic performance and transformation;
10.Participate in the formulation of regional and international guidelines and standards to facilitate the accreditation process;
11. Raise awareness on the importance and purpose of accreditation; and Promote KENAS as the sole National Accreditation Body in the scope of accreditation.